Pumped.
Canning OUT.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Re: Accies .V. St. Mirren - MATCH THREAD

Postby AcciesFCSLO » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Normal Admission Season Books Valid & PATG - £22 Adults £12 U18 & O65s

McCarthy & McArthur Suite is open to home fans from 12.30pm- 2:45pm

Season Ticket holders - Redeem stub at front door for entry.

PATG - Must purchase from ticket office before entering via front door.
Email: sean@acciesfc.co.uk
Twitter: @AcciesFCSLO
Phone: 01698 368650
AcciesFCSLO
Championship

Postby NB.hafc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:48 pm

If we lose this there may be no hope, no option but for canning out!
NB.hafc
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Heart in my mouth for this one, and still more than 24 hours to go.

St Mirren aren't the team that came up, they've changed manager twice since then, and I refuse to believe they're world beaters because they kept a clean sheet at Celtic Park (as we nearly did). But that just means we should be beating them: this sort of game should be a home banker. If we're to stay up we need to win games like this.

Can we beat them? IMO, only if we control the midfield. Our defence is strong enough to keep them out; we have forwards who can score; so the game will be won or lost in midfield. And I'm not convinced we can do that. Our only midfielder I currently have confidence in is Daz, and we need at least one other to step up. Scott Martin? Tom Taiwo? Sam Kelly? Aaron Smith?

Our season won't be over, not this early, if we don't win. Even if there's the nightmare scenario where we lose, Dundee somehow beat Hibs, and we go bottom, we shouldn't be running up the white flag. But it would be a massive setback. The alternative, where Accies and Hibs both win, opens up a six point gap over the bottom (plus GD) and drops St Mirren into the play-off spot. That's what we want. But the contrast couldn't be more stark.

I hate using the term "must win", but sometimes, even six games in, there's a game we really need to win. This is it.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 pm

I agree that defence is not the problem it was. I think it will only get stronger as the players build up an understanding of each other. I also think we have a few attacking options. Certainly no worse off in that respect than last year but the midfield hasn’t turned up yet and that’s worrying. Taiwo was described by one Falkirk fan as great at breaking up attacks but not so good going forward, Aron Smith might be back in the fold but at the moment that’s a reserve one. Don’t agree re Daz. He is a long way off last seasons player. So it’s a big ask of Martin and Kelly. St Mirren under Kearney seemed to have relied on the original squad last week rather than stubb’s signings so not sure what to expect but the appointment of gus McPherson essentially to mentor Kearney is exactly what Accies should have done with canning. Too late now ☹️
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:Heart in my mouth for this one, and still more than 24 hours to go.

St Mirren aren't the team that came up, they've changed manager twice since then, and I refuse to believe they're world beaters because they kept a clean sheet at Celtic Park (as we nearly did). But that just means we should be beating them: this sort of game should be a home banker. If we're to stay up we need to win games like this.

Can we beat them? IMO, only if we control the midfield. Our defence is strong enough to keep them out; we have forwards who can score; so the game will be won or lost in midfield. And I'm not convinced we can do that. Our only midfielder I currently have confidence in is Daz, and we need at least one other to step up. Scott Martin? Tom Taiwo? Sam Kelly? Aaron Smith?

Our season won't be over, not this early, if we don't win. Even if there's the nightmare scenario where we lose, Dundee somehow beat Hibs, and we go bottom, we shouldn't be running up the white flag. But it would be a massive setback. The alternative, where Accies and Hibs both win, opens up a six point gap over the bottom (plus GD) and drops St Mirren into the play-off spot. That's what we want. But the contrast couldn't be more stark.

I hate using the term "must win", but sometimes, even six games in, there's a game we really need to win. This is it.

It wasn't Celtic Park.
It was St Mirren Park.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Swift Frank wrote:
Willie Wastle wrote:Heart in my mouth for this one, and still more than 24 hours to go.

It wasn't Celtic Park.
It was St Mirren Park.

Thank you. Yes, that's correct.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:17 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:I agree that defence is not the problem it was. I think it will only get stronger as the players build up an understanding of each other. I also think we have a few attacking options. Certainly no worse off in that respect than last year but the midfield hasn’t turned up yet and that’s worrying. Taiwo was described by one Falkirk fan as great at breaking up attacks but not so good going forward, Aron Smith might be back in the fold but at the moment that’s a reserve one. Don’t agree re Daz. He is a long way off last seasons player. So it’s a big ask of Martin and Kelly. St Mirren under Kearney seemed to have relied on the original squad last week rather than stubb’s signings so not sure what to expect but the appointment of gus McPherson essentially to mentor Kearney is exactly what Accies should have done with canning. Too late now ☹️

About that midfield...

Playing 5-at-the-back, we have 2 wing backs pushing up to help flood the midfield. That definitely helps. And this year, we have several players who can play the system: McGowan or Ziggy at RWB, McMann, Sowah or Dougie at LWB. So that's good.

Between them we need 2 solid midfielders who can control the game, break up the opposition, and spray passes around. Whatever Daz's form so far this year, he's one of those 2 for me, and the other should be a bit more adventurous, looking to break forward more. Last season that was Docherty, then Ferguson. I'm hoping Martin's that man, because if he's not, I don't think Kelly or A Smith is, from what I've seen so far.

Ahead of them we need a more creative midfielder. Like Andreu, Crawford or Templeton. I don't see that we have a player like that at all. Perhaps Kelly or Smith? Which is why we've been playing 3 forwards, with 1 or 2 of them dropping back to fill that role - Boyd, Miller, even Bingham. I'm not convinced this will ever work, but we can only use the players we have.

Whatever Hughes could have contributed, we won't know for a while, now that he's out on loan. Ditto Cunningham (who's probably more of a forward anyway). I don't know about Lewis Smith - could he do a job anytime soon?

I'd like to see us playing this system, that the club's management clearly prefers, with a good pool of players who understand it. Like we now have in defence. But if we have a target man (Brustad, Oggy or Bloomfield), with a 2nd striker behind him (Miller, Bingham or Boyd), we seem to me still short for the remaining 2 midfield places I've described. Martin or Taiwo, plus Kelly or one of the Smiths, and that's it. The way Canning's been giving those places to anyone else - strikers or even Dougie - suggests to me he lacks confidence in the options who are meant to play there.

Just as I finished typing this, I realised I've forgotten Gogic! Straight into the XI alongside Daz, as soon as he's fit, please.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Lewis Smith has the creative ability. Where is he now?
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Bluesy wrote:Lewis Smith has the creative ability. Where is he now?

Playing reserve football and trying to make the step up from u17 football, nowhere near ready for first team football yet.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Yummy Fur » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Changing formation isn't a silver bullet but the current 3-5-2 isn't working and hasn't for sometime. The only consolation I took from Livi is that we were so abject that Canning must change it. The 3-5-2 only works if our wing backs get forward and get crosses in but that hasn't happened since our first 45 minutes against Hearts. That leaves huge pressure on the midfielder playing behind the strikers to create and that is arguably the one position where we are very short of options. As a result too many times this season we've had 2 isolated strikers feeding off scraps and a midfield short in numbers losing the battle.

I understand the decision to move to 3 centre backs as it was at a time when the full defence were making mistakes and we were leaking goals all over the place, however we now have Kilgallon and it's time to place some trust in a 2 man central defence rather than playing a extra man just in case. I'd go:-

Woods

MacGowan Kilgallon Want McMann

Bingham MacKinnon Martin Kelly Miller

Brustad
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:
Bluesy wrote:Lewis Smith has the creative ability. Where is he now?

Playing reserve football and trying to make the step up from u17 football, nowhere near ready for first team football yet.

I'm not being funny - but how do you know?

He's only played 45 minutes v Clyde in a friendly (and really looked like he could do something different from our sadly predictable norm).
He's already older than McCarthy and mcarthur were when they played in the first team.

Are we sticking with the project or not?

When we beat Celtic away and went top of the league in 2014 we finished the game with 8 academy players.

I don't want to hear about our youngsters scoring for Forfar Athletic or our reserves whilst utterly shite players offer nothing up front in the premier league.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 pm

It's okay
We have nothing to fear
Martin has been studying Coleraine videos all week
4-0 St Midden then?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Euan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 am

I wouldn’t say today is must win, but it's certainly must not lose.

A 0-0 draw would suit both teams and that’s a likely outcome.

We need to go into next weeks crunch game v. Dundee (who’ll hopefully have lost to Hibs but not sacked McCann yet) having stopped our own losing streak.

That’s not a must win either but it will be our most significant game of the first half of the season and probably the game we need to win most, if we hope to have another successful campaign.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:47 am

I wonder how many folk who watched the skinny 16 year old Harry Cochrane in the Hearts youths thought he was ready to go toe to toe with Scott Brown, let alone score against Celtic? A year ago Lewis Ferguson had yet to make his first team debut. Kelly and Aaron Smith look to be out the picture, at least the starting picture, why not give Lewis a go?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby southoftheborder » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

Willie Wastle wrote:About that midfield...

Playing 5-at-the-back, we have 2 wing backs pushing up to help flood the midfield. That definitely helps. And this year, we have several players who can play the system: McGowan or Ziggy at RWB, McMann, Sowah or Dougie at LWB. So that's good.

Between them we need 2 solid midfielders who can control the game, break up the opposition, and spray passes around. Whatever Daz's form so far this year, he's one of those 2 for me, and the other should be a bit more adventurous, looking to break forward more. Last season that was Docherty, then Ferguson. I'm hoping Martin's that man, because if he's not, I don't think Kelly or A Smith is, from what I've seen so far.

Ahead of them we need a more creative midfielder. Like Andreu, Crawford or Templeton. I don't see that we have a player like that at all. Perhaps Kelly or Smith? Which is why we've been playing 3 forwards, with 1 or 2 of them dropping back to fill that role - Boyd, Miller, even Bingham. I'm not convinced this will ever work, but we can only use the players we have.

Whatever Hughes could have contributed, we won't know for a while, now that he's out on loan. Ditto Cunningham (who's probably more of a forward anyway). I don't know about Lewis Smith - could he do a job anytime soon?

I'd like to see us playing this system, that the club's management clearly prefers, with a good pool of players who understand it. Like we now have in defence. But if we have a target man (Brustad, Oggy or Bloomfield), with a 2nd striker behind him (Miller, Bingham or Boyd), we seem to me still short for the remaining 2 midfield places I've described. Martin or Taiwo, plus Kelly or one of the Smiths, and that's it. The way Canning's been giving those places to anyone else - strikers or even Dougie - suggests to me he lacks confidence in the options who are meant to play there.

Just as I finished typing this, I realised I've forgotten Gogic! Straight into the XI alongside Daz, as soon as he's fit, please.

Perfect summation - wasn't sure of Bloomfied up front - haven't seen Brustard. Rather see Miller/Boyd behind them, but still need that 'Templeton' replacement - why not give Lewis Smith a chance? What have we got to lose!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm

St Midden got the boost of a new manager, decent result against Celtic and now Gus MacPherson comes in, so looking positive for them.

We have a team short on confidence, could not hit a barn door from 5 yards and Calamity Canning

At least I am going to be positive though. positive we will lose this 1-0, dreadful game.
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Euan wrote:I wouldn’t say today is must win, but it's certainly must not lose.

A 0-0 draw would suit both teams and that’s a likely outcome.

We need to go into next weeks crunch game v. Dundee (who’ll hopefully have lost to Hibs but not sacked McCann yet) having stopped our own losing streak.

That’s not a must win either but it will be our most significant game of the first half of the season and probably the game we need to win most, if we hope to have another successful campaign.

I almost always hesitate to use the "must win" formula, but these next two games are huge. Win them both and we start to open up some space between us and the bottom two; lose them both are we're rock bottom.

As you say, that points to a draw!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives